Friday, June 08, 2007

Book Horror!

Well I'm moved....I should say I'm in my new house but still have a ton of unpacking. A lot of which are my 30 boxes of books. And that is what I am going to tell you about now....my MOVING BOOK HORROR STORY! (you'll all kinds of excited now aren't you? Come on admit it, I have you on the edge of your seat. lol.)

We did the BIG move on Saturday, but throughout the week we had moved a lot of the smaller boxed with our truck and just left them in the garage. Come Saturday after moving all the big furniture we were so tired and figured we would leave the rest of the boxes in the garage for later. After all I don't even have bookshelves to unload all my books (I know horrible). Anyway...on with the story.

Sunday I had to work so Josh cleaned the house a bit, put a load of laundry in and came to see me at work and run a few other errands.....5pm I get a phone call....there is 2" of water in our kitchen and laundry room! the hose on the back of the washer came out of the sink thing it was supposed to be on so when it was washing all the water went onto the floor. So I rushed home after work and found out it not only was in the kitchen and laundry room but it seeped under the cabinets and into the family room. Thankfully my in laws have a shop vacuum and got most of the water up with that and had fans drying everything. By the time I got home everything was basically done.

A few minutes after my in laws leave Josh starts acting all strange. He finally says that it was a little worse than he originally thought. I'm thinking 'well duh! The family room got wet too!' so I say to him "what are you talking about? Just say it" after him hopping around and evading telling me he says that some of the water went into the garage too. It still hasn't sunk in for me. So he then tells me that the boxes with my books got wet. I actually laughed at him. I said "whatever, I know your joking!" he looked at me and said he was really sorry but he wasn't joking. My face fell, I actually started to shake a bit and jumped up to run to the garage. The bottom of about 10 boxes were wet, soaked! I grabbed a knife and start to rip them open. Josh is watching me and I am no joke crying! (shut up! you know you would too!)

All I can say is that AVON has FREAKING THE BEST BOXES! I guess cause they leave them out on porches and they get wet from rain and snow they make them really good, cause none of my books were wet....WAIT! One box was, one none AVON box! It was the box with all my Judith McNaught (one of my favorite authors) and Nora Robert books in! Most of my JM books (paperback) now have water damage on the edge of the pages. I was soooo upset. Josh is all telling me we can buy new ones, but I know I'm not going to spend the money. And although they are a little messed up they are still fine, just not the original condition I had them in.

My husband was such a sweetheart, he knew how upset I'd be and it upset him to. I love him!

All in all though I guess it wasn't so bad, but still. Any books damaged is bad news to me!

In other news, I still have a ton of unpacking to do and all so I don't know when I'll be back in the swing of blogging. But check in from time to time, cause I will be back.

Bye....

15 Comments:

Kookie said...

I know how you feel about your books. I'd cry if that happened to me, too. I totally freak out if someone other than made the creases on the spine if I bought the book brand new...so if I found them wet and all, I'm gonna go freakin' crazy. But hey, look at it this way, at least they'll tell a story other than what's printed in the book. :o)

P.S.
Glad to know you are (nearly) settled in your new house and the big move is finally over.

Kris said...

Glad you are settled. That totally stinks about the water, but it is great that only one box was damaged and not too badly. That is very sweet of your hubby. Mine would have been happy that we were getting rid of some books. He definitely would not have offered to rebuy them.
We are in the process of packing ourselves to move, it sucks!!

Nicole said...

Kookie,
It was VERY tramatizing. lol. And yeah, although the BIG move is done I still have a ton of unpacking to do and decorating.

Kris,
I so don't envy you. I'm so glad my move is over. Are you moving far from where you are now?

reviewer said...

Heck yah, I would have cried, too.
Glad to hear tha there is not as much damage as you first though.
Phew!

Anonymous said...

Aaaaakkkkkk! I feel your pain! Glad to see you're back!

Kris said...

I am moving in town, thankfully, I have always moved hours away, so this is a first. But presently I am house hunting, which is a pain. But our lease is up the end of the summer and we have to move because our landlord wants to sell.

Holly said...

Hey, hold on a minute. You didn't tell them the crucial parts. Like the fact that all the books that got wet are the 6th and 7th copies you own. LOL

I am SO sorry that happened, though. I would have FREAKED OUT! Seriously.

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! I have been through that and I know the pain you are going through.....the "sad" thing is that I am not being sarcastic when I say this!

Hopefully they will be no worse for the wear when they are dried out completely.

Hurry up and get back here! I miss you! lol

Rosie said...

Oh, Nicole, what a scary experience. I don't know what I'd do. Seriously.

Rosie said...

Oh, Nicole, what a scary experience. I don't know what I'd do. Seriously.

Daphne said...

that sucks big time. remind me again why i keep all my books in flimsy cardboard boxes? LOL

Anonymous said...

You know, as I type there is a tile layer in our kitchen laying new tile b/c our new fridge leaked water everywhere...almost entire first floor and basement.

Water is a destructive thing. I feel your pain. I lost many items in our flood...mostly the wedding pictures upset me though.

Good luck, I'm glad you haven't had to re-build your house, as we have ours!!

L2R

Nicole said...

Yikes! That sucks. I do know how you feel though. I lost boxes and boxes of books that I'd left at home while I was at college when the storage area that they were in leaked.

ErinPaperbackstash said...

Awwwww. I moved about six months ago to a new apartment and hated doing the book part. I'm cheap and lazy and had them in garbage bags though. Books are heavy monsters! They love ripping bags, so I need to just do boxes sometime, but there's just always so many! I don't think I'd have 30 though, but who knows.

Don't feel bad, I dont have bookshelves either. They are piled in my room - the horror!

I'm sorry about the water damage, that's dreadful, but I'm glad so many were saved.

ErinPaperbackstash said...

Thanks a lot for the blog comments, I didn't know how else to reach you. Are you alerted somehow I replied to your comments on the blog? Still new to all this! :)