Monday, April 30, 2007

Into the Future, or maybe not so much

I'm sure all of us have our own idea of what the future will be like. Flying cars, silver space looking clothes. But the simple truth is that none of us really know anything for sure.

Will we still have books? Or will they all become electronic? I've wondered this question a lot. I mean I've read a lot of J.D. Robb's books and Eve is always in awe by Roarke's collection of paper books. At first she couldn't understand why he didn't' just use I guess what we have as e-readers. They are so much more convenient. And how about Eve's obsession with Roarke's coffee? Will that be such a rarity one day?

I am currently listening to Killing Time by Linda Howard on audio and it brought all this back to me. In the book Nakita talks about how rare paper is in her time in the future. And cotton too. Even water. What really stuck me is when Nakita thinks how her time (in the future) everything may be more convenient but how in this time (current to us) there is so much more comforts in the small things.

When I think in terms like that, eating out of weird containers, not having coffee, reading books only on computers (unless I am ungodly rich enough to own some paper books), it makes me wonder....what's the rush?

I mean me personally? I love my books. I love holding them, looking at them, shelving them. It just makes it so much more personal. I love used book stores because it seems like I'm holding a little piece of someones history. Someone else laughed at the same parts of the same book I am reading and holding, cried with me. It's just something I personally don't look forward to losing.

Maybe that is why I resist the who e-book craze so much. Even if I get an e-reader I just don't see it as being the same...a rainy day curled up on the couch with a throw blanket a cup of tea and ..... an e-reader? Uh....it kind of doesn't have the same affect as a book.

Not saying e-readers aren't convenient, as Nakita (okay is this bad, I'm quoting fictional characters, lol) said convenient? yeah... comfort? no...

I mean I know none of what I am rambling on about here is fact. In fact I am getting it all from fiction books. But still, it makes me wonder......

.....how about you? What do you think the future holds? What do you think might not be around anymore that you would really miss.

And would you be as upset as me to lose all paper books and be solely reliant on technology to have a good read? Or is that okay by you?

12 Comments:

reviewer said...

I want an ebook reader SO bad. I hope that Dh gets me one for Mothers day.

I want to be able to read my ebooks..I buy around 5 a month..without having to lug my lap top around with me.

Unknown said...

I don't think I could do e-books, especially strictly, no paper books.

Like you, I need to comfort factor. Even the smell of a new book makes me feel good.

PLUS its alot cheaper to replace a paper book dropped in the bathtub than it would be to replace an e-reader.......lol

And now we have perfectly good reasons to save all of our books.....one day, they may be very rare things. haha

Rosie said...

I read ebooks all the time, but I can't imagine replacing paper books. I soooo agree with you that nothing replaces that experience.

I do wonder though if it's because we've had that experience and it is how we started reading so the holding of a book legitimizes the experience? I don't know anything for sure except that I still love holding a book, especially a new book that I've waited for with clean tight pages and an unbroken spine just sitting there waiting for me to crack it open for the first time. Bliss!

Nicole said...

Rosie,
Your right, I mean I'm thinking my grandkids won't even think twice about reading off an ereader insead of holding a book. They just won't even know the differance so how can they miss it right?
Regaurdless though, for me? Nothing tops a new book. Just as you said.
Oh and WELCOME TO MY BLOG! lol. Hope you stop by often.

CSR,
That's my thing! I don't mind reading some e-books. But strictly that? Ummm, no, I'll pass. lol. And I have so dropped a book in the toilet before so I know what your talking about. That made me so mad to replace that book, imagine if it was an e-reader.

Chantal,
I hope you get your reader! My fingers are crossed for you!

Chantal said...

I plan to buy it in the next day or two. Yay.

I didn't really answer your questions. Oops.
I do love to read a physical book, and I wont stop buying them.
I don't know what will happen in the future, but the fact that I will soon be able to read my ebooks in the van, or while I am waiting for my kids' various social acitivies to be over has me really excited.

Daphne said...

Okay, here are my quick thoughts on the ebook reader. I just bought one recently, and like you, I used to think, "ebook reader? no way!" Yes, it is pretty expensive (mine was $134 including shipping) but I got it for 2 reasons: 1) so I could buy new books in eformat instead of HB (i.e. SEP's natural born charmer) and 2) so i can buy a ton of erotic books without paying $14 at barnes/borders and being embarrassed.

so those are my reasons. will i stop buying paper books? NO WAY! but i'm less inclined to buy hardbacks and erotic books at the store now.

Unknown said...

I'm not embarrassed to buy erotica. I'm a horndog (to use Rowena's word) and damn proud of it! lol. So, pay me $140 and I'll take your embarassment for you! lol

Nicole said...

Tell me how you like Chantal!

Daphne,
I totally get you not wanting to get 'cookbooks' while living at home. I wouldn't either.

But....

CSR,
Now that I have my own place? There ain't no shame in my game. lol.

Lori said...

K, I'm a week behind in my reading... but... I love my e-reader. Wouldn't live without it. But I can't imagine my life without "real" books. Paper in my hands. Ink on my fingers. There's just something more real about holdiong a book in your hands. And the battery never runs out on a paper book. Right at the good part.

Nicole said...

I'm with you lori. I'll take an ereader but I prefer a 'real' book. And I would be sooooo pissed if that battery dying thing happend to me! lol.

Anonymous said...

easy photo biz -
eatstopeat -
eat stop eat -
epinoisis -
error fix -
error killer -
error smart -
evidence nuker -
fap turbo -
fatburningfurnace -
fat burning furnace -
fatloss4idiots -
fat loss 4 idiots -
final uninstaller -
fitnessmodelprogram -
fitness model program -
fit yummy yummy -
flattenyourabs -
flatten your abs -
flat to fab -
governmentregistry -
government registry -
heartburn no more -
hippo jaw -
homemadeenergy -
home made energy -
honest riches -
hot video squeeze templates -
instant website creation -
jump manual -
keyword research pro -
linden method -
malware removal bot -
maternityacupressure -

Anonymous said...

secret affiliate weapon -
secrets book -
spam bully -
spyware cease -
spyware nuker -
spyware remover -
spy zooka -
starting a day care center -
tattoo fever -
team idemise -
the bad breath report -
the cb code -
thedietsolutionprogram -
the diet solution program -
the rich jerk -
the super mind evolution system -
turbulencetraining -
turbulence training -
vincedelmontefitness -
vince del monte fitness -
warp speed fat loss -
wedding speech 4u -
windo fix -
wrap candy -
zygor guides -
7day ebook -
360 fix kit -
advanced pc tweaker -
adware bot -
affiliate naire -
art of approaching -
beating adwords -
believe and manifest -
blogging in action -